Saturday, December 21, 2013

China banks : A solid earnings year (CIMB)

A solid earnings year
We expect 2014 to be a strong year for China banks. Earnings delivery is likely to be supported by the government’s pledge for stable economic growth, while re-rating catalysts could come from increased momentum in economic reforms.

While we are positive on the sector (Overweight maintained), we very much prefer the large state-owned banks over the joint-stock and rural commercial banks. Our top picks are ICBC, CCB and ABC.


A solid earnings year
We expect China banks to deliver 6.9% earnings growth in 2014. Adding this to a 6.2% dividend yield, the sector’s prospective total return is 13.1% (the fourth-highest among Asian banks for 2014). Such returns should be underpinned by our expectation of 13% volume growth (in line with 2014) as the government has pledged stable economic growth. In the absence of a rate cut (not expected) and further deposit-rate liberalisation (probable), net interest margin for the sector should be broadly flat in 2014. Our bottom-up analysis of corporate borrowers’ credit quality supports the view that NPL formation should start to moderate as 2014 progresses, thereby providing further earnings support.

Catalysts from reforms
There remains a significant disjoint between the sector’s earnings delivery and valuations. The sector’s ROA is 1.32% vs. a market-implied ROA of 0.81%. We believe the recent reform blueprint from the CCP Central Committee will be a catalyst for unlocking value in the sector, although this is likely to be gradual. Tax and local-government reform should remove the LGFV overhang. SOE reform should improve borrowers’ credit quality. Financial market reform should increase the total wallet size of the market, benefitting brokers as well as banks. In addition, we think that as the reform momentum gathers pace, the risk premium for Chinese equities should drop, further boosting valuations.

Valuation
China banks are trading at a weighted average P/BV of 0.9x (FY14) for an ROE of 18.7%. The sector is trading at 5.3x FY14 P/E for 6.9% earnings growth. Dividend yield is about 6.2%. Within the sector, we prefer the large state-owned banks. Our top picks are ICBC, CCB and ABC. We would generally avoid joint-stock and rural commercial banks due to a combination of capital, liquidity, asset-quality and business concerns.





Source/Extract/Excerpts/来源/转贴/摘录: CIMB-Research,
Publish date:11/12/13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Warren E. Buffett(沃伦•巴菲特)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful
别人贪婪时我恐惧, 别人恐惧时我贪婪
投资只需学好两门课: 一,是如何给企业估值,二,是如何看待股市波动
吉姆·罗杰斯(Jim Rogers)
“错过时机”胜于“搞错对象”:不会全军覆没!”
做自己熟悉的事,等到发现大好机会才投钱下去

乔治·索罗斯(George Soros)

“犯错误并没有什么好羞耻的,只有知错不改才是耻辱。”

如果操作过量,即使对市场判断正确,仍会一败涂地。

李驰(中国巴菲特)
高估期间, 卖对, 不卖也对, 买是错的。
低估期间, 买对, 不买也是对, 卖是错的。

Tan Teng Boo


There’s no such thing as defensive stocks.Every stock can be defensive depending on what price you pay for it and what value you get,
冷眼(冯时能)投资概念
“买股票就是买公司的股份,买股份就是与陌生人合股做生意”。
合股做生意,则公司股份的业绩高于一切,而股票的价值决定于盈利。
价值是本,价格是末,故公司比股市重要百倍。
曹仁超-香港股神/港股明灯
1.有智慧,不如趁势
2.止损不止盈
成功者所以成功,是因为不怕失败!失败者所以失败,是失败后不再尝试!
曾淵滄-散户明灯
每逢灾难就是机会,而是在灾难发生时贱价买股票,然后放在一边,耐性地等灾难结束
  • Selected Indexes 52 week range

  • Margin of Safety

    Investment Clock

    World's First Interactive Investment Clock